Saturday, August 27, 2011

Knowing When to Stop

I love to write.  I write to get it all out in the open and clear my brain.  There are times, however, that I find that writing actually becomes a part of the problem.  When straining to find a solution to a fictional dilemma makes me stress out more than real life ever could.  I know there are many ways to defeat this monster.  Some writers like to just power through the problem, others like to sit around for hours brainstorming.  Me, I like to chill out and play solitaire for awhile.  It helps me completely clear my head.
There are times, though, that not even solitaire can cure the writing blues.  That's when I know it's time to walk away.  Just get out of the house, take a walk and stand at the side of the lake.  I'll come home feeling better, then I'll plop in front of the T.V. and watch whatever is on.  I might even do this two or three days running before returning to the work.  Often I'll sit with my kids, turn off the T.V. and have reading time with Daddy.  That one is wonderful because it gets the kids to read and it helps me learn more about the craft of writing better than any how to write manual, not to mention, it's entertainment.
     The point I'm trying to make is this, if your ever feeling out of your element, or over your head, don't feel bad about taking a little time to yourself.  Call it a mini vacation.  Your story will be there when you return.  It's OK to take a break once in awhile.  Don't go all gung ho about your writing so much that you forget to  take stock of  the thing that as a writer you should cherish most...... real life.

No comments:

Post a Comment